Written by guest travel blogger Rebecca Siggers
Traveling around the world has a multitude of advantages. Besides giving you a broader world view, it helps to better your life, enriching both body and soul.
5 reasons why around the world travel is good for you
1. Traveling hones skills you never knew you possessed – Sometimes, when you’re away from home, particularly, while traveling, you find you possess the skills you’ve not used at all. For instance, successfully reaching the mountain peak, or crossing deep gorges, or even managing to order food while sitting in a countryside inn.
So, it’s mostly traveling that uncovers your skills, broadens your mind, and gives you immense satisfaction. Sometimes, this also helps you to reassess your philosophies and, occasionally, correct them. Traveling around new places also provides you with a new beginning if you’re in the process of regaining your health. Overall, traveling around the world gives you a purpose and makes you incredibly reliable and independent.
2. It teaches you new languages – Being multilingual provides you with plenty of far-stretched possibilities. What better way to learn new words than while traveling around the world! Learning to use phrases like “good morning”, or “which way is the bus terminus?” in the local language of the place you’re visiting can instantly connect you with the natives.
Whether it’s about ordering a meal in a cafe, or understanding signs, or even negotiating a lower cost at the local market, your basic knowledge of the local dialect will make traveling easier and fun. As you learn different languages while traveling, you get closer to the local traditions of your travel destinations. It undoubtedly gives you a personal feel of the places’ cultures. Don’t worry about being fluent; rather, focus on the basics of the local dialects and befriend the natives. You might end up creating bonds to last for a lifetime.
As you learn different languages while traveling, you get closer to the local traditions of your travel destinations. This undoubtedly gives you a personal feel of the places’ cultures. Don’t worry about being fluent, rather, focus on the basics of the local dialects and befriend the natives. You might end up creating bonds to last for a lifetime.
3. It builds meaningful relationships – Sometimes, people you come across during world travel become your besties and help to make your trip truly memorable. These people from foreign lands introduce you to fresh and stimulating perspectives by letting you into their worlds. Besides seeking guidance from them, you might also get the opportunity to pay a visit to their homes. So, traveling around the world helps to break the ice with strangers easily.
Making great buddies from different corners of the world, and learning about their cultures will surely want you to maintain contact with these new associations. What’s more, you can be their best companion and guide if they ever visit your country.
Traveling around the world also deepens your existing bonds; for instance, it dramatically improves your relationships with your travel companions like friends and family. It is beneficial to your overall well being.
4. It offers you a variety of new cuisines – Traveling around the world opens your palate to a myriad of foods and flavors that you’ve never tried before. For instance, traditional Polish food like pierogis, or the richly flavored, authentic mozzarella cheese you’ll get to eat in Italy.
You will also learn a lot about a country’s culture from its typical staple foods. For example, Costa Rica’s staple, simple meal comprising rice, fresh meat or fish, and a vegetable made from sweet plantains represents its pure culture. On the other hand, France portrays elegance and fineness through its staple foods like fine-quality bread, costly cheese, finely cut meat, self-indulgent desserts, and lovely wine.
As moving around different places is certainly hungry work, you will soon indulge in looking for good restaurants and tasting new dishes while also relishing some of them. So, traveling around the globe helps you to add fresh foods to your list of favorite recipes.
While traveling, make sure to find out from the locals their recipes of dishes which you liked so that you can cook them similarly, once back home. Let your folks savor the new foods while they listen to your travel stories.
5. It’s a great relaxant – Our work lives often stress us out, and can negatively impact our mental health. Furthermore, relationship problems, anxiety, or intense grief from the loss of a loved one adds to the stress. Hence it’s genuinely essential to recharge and divert our minds from our daily routine and personal problems.
What better way to unwind than to travel around the world! Research proves that traveling boosts happiness and effectively distracts your mind from stressful thoughts. It results in reduced cortisol, the stress hormone, giving you a sense of relaxation. Whether it’s about sightseeing, clicking pictures or watching the locals do their daily chores. The very fact that you’re in a new land is destressing and makes you smile.
If you’re aged or a retiree, your mental health will also experience vast perks of world travel. Touring different destinations boosts your psychic abilities, thus minimizing the risk of contracting dementia.
Go ahead, plan a trip, and rejuvenate! Make sure to carry a world scratch map for tracking your tours. Once back home, paste it on the wall so that it will continuously remind you of your happy travels.